Weleda’s commitment to harnessing the healing power of plants is encoded in the brand’s very name. A real historical figure, Weleda was a priestess of healing who lived in a tower on the banks of the river Lippe. The herald’s staff adorning each product, meanwhile, reflects the intrinsic link between humanity and nature.
This promise to reconnect the body with natural rhythms began in 1921, as a pharmaceutical laboratory with its own plant garden. A founding team of scientists created the first synergistic products; this was to prove the first step in Weleda’s journey to becoming a world-leading manufacturer of certified natural personal care.
From key bases in Switzerland, Germany and France, the brand continues to develop thousands of cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, still partially produced from the medicinal plants of their own gardens. Every such garden is full of secrets, and it requires both a deep understanding of nature and concentrated effort to unlock the healing potential of each plant.