Acne & Blemishes Guide
With our acne & blemishes guide, you can find out everything you need to know before buying or using the product including what is body acne and how do I get rid of body acne. If you're ready to buy or want to see our selection, visit our acne & blemishes page.
Acne & Blemishes FAQs
What is body acne?
Body acne is a common skin concern that can affect anyone, including both teens and adults.
It usually appears anywhere you have pores – think areas such as your neck, back, chest, shoulders, upper arms and, in some cases, your butt – and its appearance can range between small blackheads to sore cystic spots.
Breakouts on the body occur when excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells become trapped within the follicle, but it can also be triggered from pore-clogging beauty products.
How do I get rid of body acne?
There are plenty of ways to treat body acne, from easy at-home solutions to targeted beauty products and treatments.
In order to efficiently remove the bacteria, dead skin cells and dirt that build up on your skin throughout the day, you should shower daily, using soaps that are acne-fighting. Look out for ingredients such as salicylic acid, tea tree or benzoyl peroxide, as they are great at soothing and calming breakouts and inflammation.
If you're looking for a more direct treatment, check out our collection of body acne products, where you'll find everything from topical cream to cleansing lotions and masques.
Remember to always immediately change out of clothes after exercising or sweating, and to never pick or scratch your acne, as this will cause long-term scarring.
What is bacne?
Back acne is often referred to as 'bacne' and is one of the most common types of body acne.
'Bacne' breakouts occur in the same way that normal acne breakouts occur, and are often out of your control. However, there are some ways you can help to prevent back acne, including avoiding tight-fitting clothing, limiting use of oil-based products and avoiding hormone-based medications.
How do I know if I have acne?
Body acne symptoms are super easy to identify as they show on the surface of your skin, similar to face acne.
There are six main types of acne that may appear across your body:
- Blackheads – small black or yellowish bumps that are visible on the surface of the skin.
- Whiteheads – have a similar appearance to blackheads, but may be more raised and more firm.
- Papules – small red bumps that can feel tender, sore or itchy.
- Pustules – similar to papules but show a white tip in the center, which is a build-up of pus.
- Nodules – large hard lumps that appear beneath the surface of the skin and can be painful to the touch.
- Cysts – a large, pus-filled lump and the most severe type of acne. Cysts looks similar to boils and can scar skin.